Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holiday Shopping



I have been out shopping the past few days just for some little odds and ends to add to my Christmas decorations - and possibly gifts.  What has really disturbed me is the lack of American made products for sale in the stores I visited:

Paper Source - I don't think ANYTHING was made in the USA - every item I picked up had been made in China

Sur la Table - Had great things that I would have loved to buy - a garlic rocker from Joseph Joseph, double-walled glassware from Bodum and an electric hand mixer from Cuisinart... all made in China

Pier1 - I know that "Imports" is part of their name, and I was able to find some candles and decorative tiles  (Vietnam) which I did purchase

It got me to thinking about trying to be more "local" in all of my spending - but the harsh reality is that some things that you want are only made overseas (my Silhouette SD machine for one).

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy items made in other countries, just that if you have a choice, I believe it best to purchase those locally produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment