Monday, November 21, 2011

Helpfullness

The topic of "helpfulness" came up this morning - I was accused of telling someone they were "not helpful" a couple of days ago, and I have no memory of saying this.  The fact that I don't think this person to be particularly helpful probably indicates that I did, in fact, say something to that effect. 

This got me to thinking about what it means to be helpful. 

Webster's Dictionary defines helpful as "of service or assistance" - although it doesn't specifically say so, I would think that means "of service or assistance to others".  So do people think they are being helpful when they are being "of service or assistance to themselves"?

As you know, I am on a journey to Poppy Ridge Farm.  I believe that having a sustaining, organic farm with many different types of rescue animals can live happily will not only be "helpful" to the planet and other living things, but would also be a place where celebrations for many of life's milestones can occur.  I believe that by working toward this goal, I am being "helpful" to the planet and it's many inhabitants.

Oprah has said that if you want to find your passion, make a positive impact on the world, we need to ask ourselves a very important question:  "How can I be used in service to myself and the world?" then listen and be open to what we are feeling.

If we are feeling slighted because someone does not think we are helpful, then we only invite more of the same feelings to us.  If, on the other hand, we listen to those feelings and find a place where we can be of joyous service to the world - amazing things will begin to turn up in our lives!

How can I be used in service to myself and you?

No comments:

Post a Comment