Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Home Hair Color

I have been coloring my hair since high school.  My natural color is a dull, mousy dark blond and for 15 years I had it highlighted to a Heather Locklear-California blond.  Then I got married and had kids and the $125+ it cost became too much and I decided to learn how to do it myself. 

After countless "Light Ash Blond" / "Medium Ash Blond" / "Honey Ash Blond" boxes of color, I finally decided to bring my hair to a more "natural" shade, so I wouldn't have to be a slave to the peroxide every other month.

It was during this time I learned two very important lessons when it comes to coloring my own hair:

1) There is a VERY big difference between "Dark Blond" and "Light Brown".

2) You cannot color correct "over the counter".

What ensued was many trips to my local drug store and my hair actually being eight different colors in 36 hours - ranging from the rooted blond to way-too-dark light brown to bubble gum pink and banana cream.  I finally ended up with a blistered scalp and a hair color that reminded me of stale quacamole.  I finally decided just to wear the green tint as a fashion statement and be done with it until my scalp healed enough to try something else.

Lucky for me, a friend at work had attended beauty college and was able to bring in some professional hair color with instruction on how to use it.  Finally I was able to fix the mess on my head and have a more natural color from then on.

I never seemed to quite recover from my home remedy fiasco, until I came across an aloe based color at my local beauty supply "Satin Ultra Vivid Fashion Color" is the best hair color I have come across.


You can use your own developer (I use "Dioxygen" by Ms. Kay), or they have their own too.  You can find it online from a number of different sources.  I can't say enough about how much I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment